- Azami was born into the world of humans without knowing the purpose behind it. She used to trust humans to help her to find her true self. However, the humans feared her and thus tried to kill her in many ways. Her heart started to fill with emotions and she decided to take revenge on humans. Not long after she killed many of their kind, she decided to be alone and ventured deep into a forest where not even the sound of bugs could be heard.
- Azami then lived alone in the forest for a long time, looking down on humans as pathetic. One day she met a young albino soldier, Tsukihiko, who felt a deep connection with her due to both of them being seen as "monsters". The two fell in love, decided to stay together forever, and had a half-human half-gorgon child, Shion. Because of the love she learned, she started to fear the day that she would have to part with Tsukihiko, due to his shorter lifespan, and created the Heat Haze, using the powers of all her snakes. In doing so, she inadvertently created the snake of Favouring Eyes.
- Although she attempted to live forever with her family in the Heat Haze, their home was attacked immediately after she created it, so she came to believe that misery and misfortune comes when she is involved with humans. She decides to enter the Heat Haze alone and live there forever so her family could be truly happy.
- However, when her daughter Shion and granddaughter Marry were murdered by humans, she could not bear to let such a terrible thing go ignored, so she pulled Marry and Shion into the Heat Haze. She gave Shion the Queen Snake, the Snake of Combining Eyes, but Shion gave it to Marry instead. The Snake of Combining Eyes would serve as Marry's life, saving her and allowing her to return to the real world, but the loss of their queen greatly angered Azami's snakes.
- As Azami lost her ability to unite and command the snakes, she became unable to undo the order she gave to the Heat Haze: "Bring in the people who died on August 15th (the day of Marry and Shion's deaths). Thus, everyone who died on August 15th afterwards was brought into the Heat Haze instead of passing on to the afterlife.